At the end of the Commencement Ceremony, the University Bell will ring in honor of the Graduates. The University Bell sounded the opening of the State Normal and Industrial School (now UNCG) on October 5, 1892. For forty years—until electric bells were installed—it marked significant moments of the day. The University Bell hung from a belfry in the Anniversary Plaza from 1967 until 1987 when it was removed for the purpose of restoration. The Class of 1940, in celebration of the 50th anniversary of its graduation, commissioned the restoration of the University Bell.