Three Important things That You Need to Do
- Inform the university whether or not you plan to attend the commencement ceremony at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday, December 11.
- Complete the online RSVP form found at http://web.uncg.edu/reg/forms/rsvp/student.asp no later than December 1.
- Purchase regalia. Go to the bookstore and place your order by November 14. Students who are eligible to graduate with honors according to the guidelines in the Undergraduate Bulletin may pick up honors cords in the bookstore around the first of November. The bookstore will have a list of students eligible for honors cords. The honors designation is tentative until final grades are recorded. If you have questions, contact the bookstore at 336-334-5563.
- Pay the graduation fee. $55.00 must be paid to the Cashiers and Student Accounts Office no later than November 11—thirty days prior to your graduation date.
What to Do and Expect Commencement Morning
The UNCG commencement ceremony is a formal, traditional, academic exercise. The ceremony will begin with a processional of all participants, followed by: greetings and speeches from academic dignitaries, the conferring of degrees, tassel turning ceremony, singing of the Alma Mater, ringing of the University Bell, and the recessional. The Commencement Brass will provide music. During the December commencement ceremony, names of all degree candidates are announced as they walk across the stage, receive their diploma covers and shake hands with the Chancellor.
Previous commencement programs may be viewed online at:http://www.uncg.edu/reg/Com/ProgramIndex.html.
- Go to http://reg.uncg.edu/commencement-central/coliseum-information/ for a map of the parking area. Parking is free and no passes are required for students or guests.
- Seating in the Coliseum is open and no tickets are required.
- Arrive at the East Wing of the Greensboro Coliseum’s Special Events Center non later than 9:00 a.m. Look for signs indicating Undergraduate Check-in. You must check in and receive a name card. You will be directed to the bleachers and placed in alphabetical order with your College/School.
- Go to http://reg.uncg.edu/commencement-central/coliseum-information/ for a map of your assembly area.
- The processional begins promptly at 10:00 a.m.
- Wear your tassel on the right side of your cap unless you are a second-degree student. During the tassel turning ceremony, undergraduates will turn their tassels from the right side to the left to indicate receipt of the Baccalaureate.
- There is NO rehearsal. The purpose of this message and the Commencement Central Web site, CommencementCentral.uncg.edu, is to provide all the information students and families will need. If you have further questions, please contact email@example.com.
Tips for an Enjoyable Commencement Experience
- Eat Breakfast! The ceremony will last approximately two and a half hours.
- If a friend or family member has restricted mobility or is deaf or hard of hearing, go to http://reg.uncg.edu/commencement-central/guest-accommodations/ for more information.
- Monitor the weather. In the event of ice or snow, call 336-334-4400 for up-to-date information about commencement plans. Such information will also be broadcast on local media.
- Please note that participation in the ceremony does not presume graduation from the university. Degrees are conferred only after all academic requirements are met and the Board of Trustees has taken official action.
We congratulate you on your accomplishments and look forward to seeing you at the ceremony on December 11. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the commencement ceremony.