Use of Instructional Space at UNCG
- The use of general purpose classrooms (assigned by the University Registrar’s Office) and specialized space (such as labs, studios, and departmental space), should be scheduled according to the UNCG Course Scheduling Documentation and follow the course distribution specifications described below.
- Academic Departments and Programs must make efficient use of general purpose classroom space. Classroom assignments are based on maximum enrollment and are matched to parameters such as classroom capacity, back-to-back instruction, and optimum campus location/region. See Classroom Assignment Process.
35% non-prime time minimum Monday-Thursday course distribution by department
A minimum of 35% of Monday-Thursday course sections (which have a meeting pattern) must be scheduled during non-prime time: defined as early morning classes with a start time prior to 9:00 a.m. and afternoon classes with start times that begin after 2:00 p.m.
Exceptions and Evaluations
- Schools/Colleges must designate an administrator (such as an Associate Dean) with the responsibility of monitoring course scheduling.
- Academic Departments and Programs may not deviate from these scheduling parameters without approval of the designated administrator of their School/College and by the Vice Chancellor of Enrollment Management.
- University Registrar’s Office will conduct periodic reviews to ensure compliance with classroom scheduling requirements.
Prime Time/ Non-Prime time Definitions
- Prime time: classes that have start times of 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday.
- Non-prime time: early morning classes with a start time of earlier than 9:00 a.m. and afternoon classes with start times after 2:00 p.m.
Classroom Usage Information
- Do not remove or add external furniture (e.g., desks, chairs, tables) to a classroom.
- The number of seats in each classroom corresponds to the maximum seating capacity allowed by fire code for that room. Moving furniture can violate this code and create seating issues for other classes.
- All classrooms have a set seating capacity that cannot be adjusted due to State Fire Code and Accessibility regulations. Please do not allow additional students to register for a course section if the assigned classroom cannot accommodate them. The university will not add additional chairs/desks beyond the approved seating capacity.
- Restore seats to a pre-class setting at the end of each class meeting. While some classrooms are equipped with a “Maximum Occupancy” posting, the number associated with this sign only reflects a North Carolina Department of Insurance assessment, not a seat count.
- It is expected that faculty will arrive at their classroom five minutes before their course begins and that they will end each class session on time. Faculty should vacate the classroom no later than five minutes after their course ends.
- Food and beverages are not permitted in any general purpose classroom.
Reserve a University Space
Academic course sections have first priority for use of General Purpose Classrooms. Non-academic (e.g., meetings) event scheduling for those rooms is deferred until after the first week of class in order to allow for final changes to the course schedule.
For a complete list of General Purpose Classrooms and information on how to reserve a space see: http://euc.uncg.edu/reservations/
View Classroom Spaces
For a list of classroom resources browsable by building and resource visit:
For a locked classroom or facilities related issues (i.e., repair of classroom furniture), please contact the Facilities Operations Customer Service Center (CSC) at 336.334.5684.
For issues related to classroom furniture (i.e., insufficient number of chairs, broken desk), please contact the Office of Space Utilization and Planning at firstname.lastname@example.org
For issues associated with classroom technology (e.g., teaching kiosk, screen), please contact Classroom Technology Support at 336.334.5207.