Diploma Information

Diplomas show the official name of the degree awarded. See the Undergraduate Bulletin for authorized baccalaureate degrees and The Graduate Bulletin for authorized graduate-level degrees and certificates.

Majors, concentrations, and minors are not printed on the undergraduate diploma, in accordance with University policy; this information does appear on the student’s official academic transcript. The University Registrar’s Office has contracted a 3rd party vendor to print, package and ship any diploma awarded to the recipient of a baccalaureate and/or graduate level degree. The cost of the original diploma is covered by the graduation fee.

Note that the undergraduate diploma measures 8.5 x 11, while the graduate diploma is 11 x 14. 

Duplicate/Replacement Requests

Have you lost your original diploma or do you need a duplicate diploma issued for employment purposes? Replacement and/or duplicate baccalaureate diplomas may be ordered from Graduation Services.Please use this request form. Requests must be mailed in with a check or money order and the diploma must be mailed to an address of your choice.

If you have questions or would like to learn the status of a request you’ve already submitted please email degreeclearance@uncg.edu.

Replacement diplomas for master’s ($70), specialist, and doctoral degrees ($85) may be ordered from The Graduate School.


Notarized Requests

Due to the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) our offices are closed and we are unable to provide notary services at this time. Notary services for UNCG diplomas (and transcripts) can usually be provided upon request during business hours.  To ensure the office is staffed with the appropriate officials, the service should be requested at the time the replacement/duplicate diploma and/or transcript is made. For more information about notary, apostille, and true-copy authentication documents, please visit the following websites:

Diploma Frequently Asked Questions

When will I receive my diploma?
Diploma orders will be made approximately 1 week after degrees are awarded. Please allow 3-4 weeks from the time the order is placed to receive your diploma. As a general rule of thumb, May graduates can anticipate receipt of their diploma by mid-July, August graduates by the mid-October, and December graduates, by mid-February.
Why doesn't my major/concentration appear on my diploma?
Majors, concentrations, and minors are not printed on the undergraduate diploma, in accordance with University policy. The Academic Policies and Regulations Committee, under the umbrella of the Faculty Senate, has not approved this request; therefore, we are unable to accommodate a student’s wishes for this information on a diploma. However, this information will be available on your official academic transcript. They also do not include departments. (Please Note: Your department is listed on your official academic transcript.)

In addition to your legal name, your degree and Latin honors earned, if applicable, will be printed along with the date the degree was awarded. The University seal is displayed in gold along with signatures of the UNCG Chancellor, the Chair of the UNCG Board of Trustees, the President of The University of North Carolina, and the Chair of the UNC Board of Governors.

I did not receive a diploma cover, when will I get one?
Diploma covers are given to students at their commencement ceremony. We are planning a ceremony for May 2020 graduates and look forward to celebrating with you and giving you your cover then. Unfortunately, due to distribution issues associated with COVID-19, we do not have diploma covers to offer you at this time, thank you for your understanding.
I need to provide proof of graduation. What documents and/or ways can proof of graduation be obtained?
While your diploma is a wonderful way to display your accomplishment, it is not the only item provided by the University. Proof of graduation can be displayed via your diploma, and/or an official transcript. Your official transcript not only displays the courses you took and grades earned at UNCG, but it also contains the date of commencement and your degree information, including your major/minor/concentration. In addition, the University will report all graduates to the National Student Clearinghouse approximately 2 weeks after degrees are awarded. If you are a current undergraduate graduation candidate needing proof of graduation, you may submit a request to Graduation Services via degreeclearance@uncg.edu. Please provide your Student ID # and the information requested. Requests made during the current graduation term will be honored for current graduation candidates only. Once degrees are awarded, the student should acquire “proof” via one the above avenues.
I checked my UNCGenie account and it states that I have a balance.  Can I still graduate?
This is a great question.  While having an outstanding balance with the University will not keep you from becoming a graduate, the outstanding balance may keep you from receiving any official documentation from the University.  Official documentation such as transcripts and diplomas are items that future employers may require for employment.  We ask that you continue to check your balance with the University, even after the commencement date has passed.   If you have a balance, please contact the Cashier’s office for more details  336-334-5831.
What happens if I do not pay my balance before diplomas are ordered?
Graduation Services will not place an order for your diploma. Once your hold has been removed please email us at degreeclearance@uncg.edu to indicate the correct mailing address for your diploma. Only the Cashier’s office can lift monetary holds. Therefore, if you have a balance with the University, please contact the Cashier’s office for more details.
I moved and have changed my address via UNCGenie.  My diploma mailing address will change automatically, right?
Unfortunately, when you make a change to your address in UNC-Genie after you have submitted a graduation application, your diploma mailing address will not update. Therefore, you must contact Graduation Services to provide us with the updated mailing address. If you have moved since your applying for graduation, and/or you are not sure what address you provided, please email Graduation Services to inquire.
I graduated in August and it is November 1st.  I have not received my diploma. What should I do?
We realize that items can get lost in the mail.  Please check with Graduation Services.  It is possible that your diploma was returned to our office by the USPS.  If the diploma was not returned to our office, please ensure that you check with your local USPS that delivers to your home.  Your local USPS may be holding the package for you.