What is Degree Works?

Degree Works is a web-based tool to help students and advisors monitor progress toward degree completion. Degree Works looks at the degree requirements of the UNCG undergraduate bulletin and the coursework completed to produce an easy-to-read degree evaluation. The evaluation is divided into block requirements that outline how courses taken count toward degree requirements. Checkboxes exist within each block to easily outline what courses and requirements are complete. Degree Works is designed to enhance the academic advisement process and is not intended to replace face-to-face academic advisement.

What is a degree evaluation?

A Degree Works evaluation is a review of past, current, and future coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a degree, major, minor and/or concentration.

Who can use Degree Works?

As of Fall 2014, undergraduate students who have bulletin years of 2014-15 or later are Degree Works students. Undergraduate students under an earlier bulletin should continue to use the Degree Evaluation link in their student menu in UNCGenie. Any undergraduate, regardless of bulletin year, has access to degree works and is able to perform what-if analyses, but, it’s important to note, those what- ifs will assume a bulletin year of 2014-15 or later.

Is my information confidential?

Yes. Like other processes you use through UNCGenie, Degree Works is accessed through your secure login. Remember that your advisor and authorized staff will be able to view the information contained in Degree Works.

Can I register for classes in Degree Works?

No. Registration, including prerequisite checks, will continue to be handled through the Registration Menu in UNCGenie.

Can I save or print my evaluation?

Yes. Click on the Print or Save as PDF button. A PDF copy of your evaluation will open in a new browser window, and from there you can save the file or print a copy. Please note: this will not save a copy within Degree Works but will allow you to save a PDF file to another location.

How current will my information be in Degree Works?

The information in Degree Works is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/withdrawn) will be seen in Degree Works tomorrow.

Are my grades visible in Degree Works?

Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable in Degree Works after the nightly refresh.

Can I see a list of all the classes I’ve taken?

Yes. On the Evaluations tab, click on the Class History link at the top for a list of courses taken at UNCG as well as transfer courses.

How do I know what classes I need to take?

Your evaluation will outline courses needed to meet degree, major, minor, and/or concentration
requirements within each specific block. Look for unchecked boxes to identify requirements you still need to complete. You may then use this information to discuss your plan with your academic advisor.

I think my evaluation is incorrect. What should I do?

The first step is to clarify what information you believe is wrong. These are the most common problems and courses of action:

  • My major is wrong on my evaluation.

If you have not officially changed your major, please use the Change of Major/Minor form. Once you have filled out the form, due to processing time, it may take up to three business days for the change to show up on your evaluation. If you have already officially changed your major, the Degree Works evaluation will only display your active degree evaluation. If your change is effective for a future term, the change may not reflect until that term.

  • The requirements for my major are wrong.

Look at the bulletin term that appears on the major requirements block of the evaluation. According to University records, this is the bulletin that you are using to complete your major requirements. If you believe you should be using older or newer requirements, contact your academic advisor, the Students First Office or the Degree Audit Specialist in the University Registrar’s Office.

  • My transfer courses don’t appear in the right place.

If you are concerned about a transfer course that should be applying in your Degree Works evaluation, contact the Transfer Articulation Department in the University Registrar’s Office for an explanation of how transfer courses are applied. If you still have questions, contact the Degree Audit Specialist in the University Registrar’s Office.

  • Classes are not applying in the “right” place.

Degree Works uses a ‘best fit’ approach for meeting requirements so classes may apply to different sections as you take more courses. If you have further questions, please contact your academic advisor or the Degree Audit Specialist in the University Registrar’s Office.

My advisor or department chair gave me permission to substitute a course, but it’s not showing on my evaluation.

Talk with your academic advisor. Advisors can request an exception or substitution to the standard requirements. Once exceptions are approved and entered by the University Registrar’s Office, the change will appear on the evaluation after the nightly refresh.

My minor is missing from my evaluation

If you have not officially declared your minor, please use the Change of Major/Minor form. Once you have filled out the form, due to processing time, it may take up to three business days for the change to show up on your evaluation. If none of these problems describe your situation, or if you need additional help identifying what’s wrong, contact your advisor or the Degree Audit Specialist in the University Registrar’s Office.

I have been cleared for graduation, but Degree Works says that I haven’t completed all my requirements. Does this mean that I won’t be able to graduate?

Not necessarily. This can be a timing issue such as posting of grades for the current term. If you have followed through on any requirements you were told to complete, you should still be on track for graduation. The Graduation Services Department in the University Registrar’s Office can help assist you on questions regarding graduation clearance.

When should I look at my degree evaluation?

At least four times a semester. You should always review your evaluation:

  1. Before you meet with your academic advisor to discuss registration for an upcoming semester.
  2. After you register to ensure that the courses you selected applied to your requirements like you thought they would.
  3. After your grades for each semester are posted.
  4. Any time you make a change to your schedule or major. Remember that student information is refreshed nightly, so you may have to wait a day for a new degree evaluation if your information has changed.

How is my degree evaluation different from my transcript?

Your degree evaluation is a tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress. It displays courses required and completed in your degree program. Your transcript is your official university academic record and provides a chronological list of courses completed and other academic information.

Degree Works placed one of my courses in two different places. Is that okay?

In most cases, yes. Degree Works is programmed to recognize that some courses can fulfill more than one requirement. If you have any questions, contact your advisor or the Degree Audit Specialist in the University Registrar’s Office.

I earned credit before I came to UNCG. How does this appear on my evaluation?

In most cases, classes were coded during the admissions process so they would be placed on your evaluation as transfer work. If your evaluation does not look like you expected, please contact your advisor or the Degree Audit Specialist in the University Registrar’s Office.

Are there requirements for graduation that Degree Works doesn’t check?

A few. While Degree Works has been designed to check almost everything that you must complete to qualify for graduation, there may be additional requirements for your major that must be completed as well. You should use Degree Works in conjunction with the University bulletin and with any information that your major department provides to ensure that you remain on track for graduation. If you have questions about any additional requirements for your major, talk with your advisor or contact the Students First Office.

My advisor allowed me to waive/substitute a course. How will that course appear on my evaluation?

After it is approved by your major department, the University Registrar’s Office will record the exception. The degree evaluation will show the requirement fulfilled and information about the exception.

I’m a double major. Only one appears on the evaluation. How can I check the requirements for my other major?

If you have not officially added your second major, please use the Change of Major/Minor form. Once you have filled out the form, due to processing time, it may take up to three business days for the change to show up on your evaluation. If you have already officially added your second major, but it doesn’t show up on your degree evaluation, verify with the University Registrar’s Office that the change in major has been submitted and officially updated. If you still have questions, contact your advisor or the Degree Audit Specialist in the University Registrar’s Office.

I repeated a course and I don’t understand how it appears on the degree evaluation. Can you explain this to me?

If you successfully repeat a course, only your highest grade attempt counts toward degree requirements. The lowest grade attempt(s) will be placed in the “Insufficient” block at the bottom of your evaluation. The courses in this area do not count toward your total degree hours, and they cannot be used to fulfill requirements. If a grade replacement form has not been completed, both grades will be calculated into your overall GPA. Questions regarding grade replacement can be answered by the University Registrar’s Office.

I’ve seen the @ symbol in several places on my evaluation. What does this mean?

This is a wild card in Degree Works. If the @ sign appears with course numbers after it (i.e., @ 100:599), it means that you can take any course subject with that level (a 100-500 level course from any course subject.) If it appears after a subject prefix (i.e., PSY @), it means that you can take any course with that subject prefix (any course in Psychology).

Can I access Degree Works on any computer?

Yes. Access to Degree Works is through the Web. Anywhere you can log in to UNCGenie will allow you access to Degree Works.

If I withdraw from a class, will that be reflected in my evaluation?

Courses from which you have withdrawn after the conclusion of the drop/add schedule adjustment period will appear in the Insufficient block on your evaluation and will be designated by the appropriate Withdrawn Grade (i.e. WE, WT, WF, W, etc).

If all the boxes are checked, does that mean I’m graduating?

Not necessarily. If you have applied to graduate, the Graduation Services section of the URO performs a graduation clearance audit, and communicates missing requirements to the student.

What is the “What-If” feature in Degree Works?

The “What If” function allows you to hypothetically change your major, minor, or concentration. The What If evaluation will show you what coursework is required for the new major, minor, or concentration, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take. Then, you can make a more informed decision about whether or not changing your major/minor/concentration is the best choice for you.

If I use the “What-If” feature, does this mean that I have changed my major?

No. The “What-If” function is for information purposes only. You will see the header “What-If Evaluation” displayed at the top of the evaluation whenever an evaluation is run on a What If scenario.

Can my advisor see my “What If” scenario?

What If scenarios are not stored on Degree Works so your advisor can only see your results if the two of you work through a What If procedure together or if you print a copy of your What If scenario.