Address/Telephone/Marital Status/E-mail Changes

You may update the following personal information at UNCGenie‘s Web site:

  • local and permanent address
  • telephone numbers
  • preferred e-mail address
  • marital status

These changes cannot be made by telephone.

Click here for complete instructions on changing address information via the Web.

All University-related mailings access the addresses currently on the UNCGenie Student Information System. Each semester many students fail to receive vital information because they do not update their addresses or notify the University Registrar’s Office of changes. Be sure to update your address/telephone number/e-mail address whenever necessary. Please remember that it is your responsibility to file these changes via UNCGenie.

Name Changes

Changing the academic record name and/or changing the payroll name are separate processes in separate offices. The appropriate documentation must be presented to either and/or both.

The University Registrar’s Office processes name changes to the academic record for all current and former students. Employees, including student employees, please see last paragraph of this Name Changes section for updating the payroll name.

Name changes may be requested via the Name Change Request form. Requests submitted in person require a photo ID and specific legal documentation.

Different types of name changes require different types of legal documentation that need to be uploaded via the form.

  • Change of name due to Marriage requires a copy of marriage certificate or current Social Security card and a photo ID
  • Change of name due to Legal Change requires a copy of court order or current Social Security card and a photo ID
  • Change of name due to Divorce requires copy of divorce decree or current Social Security card and a photo ID
  • Change of name due to Adoption requires copy of court order or current Social Security card and a photo ID
  • Change of name due to Spelling Error requires a photo ID
  • Change of name due to Hyphenated Name requires a photo ID

Current and former students who are employed by the University also must present their Social Security card, which reflects the new name, to the Payroll Office in the Mossman Building. That office is responsible for the name that is reported monthly to the SSA (Social Security Administration). This name must validate exactly against the SSA database. If your payroll name at UNCG does not match the name in the SSA database, you might not be issued a paycheck. Call 336-334-5946 for further information.

Gender Change

Students currently enrolled at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro may have their gender status changed in the student information system by presenting to the University Registrar an original, signed letter from a physician attesting that the process of gender transition is complete or by an official court order affirming a gender change. Students must understand that a letter from a physician results in a change to University records only.

Gender information does not appear on University documentation (class rosters, academic transcripts, student ID cards, etc.); however, the information is used for statistical purposes such as reporting to federal and state government [either F (female) or M (male)].

Transitioning students can also choose to remove the existing gender code [reported as N (not reported)]. For assistance with transgender issues related to housing, please contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life.

Students should know that a change to gender does not presume a change in name. Please see the policy on Name Changes for information about this policy and process.

Preferred/Chosen Name Designation

A student may designate a preferred first name when applying for admission or after enrolling; this may not be the student’s legal name. The preferred first name will appear in Canvas on the instructor’s roster; the legal name will appear in all other formats and services (e.g., official grade roll, transcript). Complete the Chosen First Name Change Request Form to designate a preferred name.

Computing Account User Name Change

Your computing account user name can not be changed in the system at this time due to technical limitations.  What can be changed, if desired, is how your name appears in places like email and the online Campus Directory.  To learn more, see Account Name Changes on the Information Technology Services website.