Each student entering UNCG is initially classified as either a resident or nonresident for tuition purposes by the appropriate admitting office.
To petition for a reclassification of residence status, application must be made to the University Registrar’s Office. A student who wishes to file a petition for reclassification should first become familiar with the statutory provisions and then submit a completed Residency Reclassification Application (along with the required additional documentation) no later than midnight on the fifth day of the term in question.
University Registrar’s Office
180 Mossman Building
PO Box 26170, Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
Completed application packets are accepted via mail, fax, e-mail, or in person.
Allow at least two weeks for processing. You will receive e-mail notification and/or a letter with the outcome.
- Remember to sign and date the application or it will be returned, thus delaying the classification process.
- Failure to answer all questions completely and legibly may result in the application being returned, thus delaying the classification process.
- Additional materials may be requested to support the claim to the in-state tuition benefit.
- Check UNCGenie for updates.
- Do not submit original documents; the packet is not returnable.
- Social Security numbers and account numbers may be blacked out prior to submission.
- Make a photocopy of the entire packet prior to submitting; the packet is not returnable and this office will not make a photocopy after receipt.
- Applicants must have already been physically present in North Carolina for at least 365 days before submitting the application.
- The deadline to submit applications and ALL materials is midnight on the fifth day of classes for the term in question.
In order to request a residency reclassification, the student must submit the Residency Reclassification Application (and all required documentation) to the University Registrar’s Office no later than the 10th day of classes of that term by 5:00 p.m. Applications are processed in the date order that they are received.
|Spring 2017||Monday, January 30, 2017|
|First Summer Session 2017||Wednesday, May 31, 2017|
|Second Summer Session 2017||Thursday, July 6, 2017|
|Fall 2017||Monday, August 28, 2017|
This notice supersedes any different information about residency application filing deadlines in university publications and Web sites and on the Residency Reclassification Application itself.
Before continuing please consult the North Carolina State Residence Classification Manual