Guidelines for Undergraduate Courses
These guidelines establish the scheduling and classroom utilization process for courses taught on the main campus of UNC Greensboro. The goal is to ensure the most effective utilization of instructional space and the appropriate distribution of classes throughout the day and week.
Use of Instructional Space
- The use of general purpose classrooms (assigned by the University Registrar’s Office) and specialized space (such as labs, studios, and departmental space), should be scheduled according to the UNCG Course Scheduling Documentation and follow the course distribution specifications described below.
- Academic Departments and Programs must make efficient use of general purpose classroom space. Classroom assignments are based on maximum enrollment and are matched to parameters such as classroom capacity, back-to-back instruction, and optimum campus location/region. See Classroom Assignment Process.
35% non-prime time minimum Monday-Thursday course distribution by department
A minimum of 35% of Monday-Thursday course sections (which have a meeting pattern) must be scheduled during non-prime time: defined as early morning classes with a start time prior to 9:00 a.m. and afternoon classes with start times that begin after 2:00 p.m.
Exceptions and Evaluations
- Schools/Colleges must designate an administrator (such as an Associate Dean) with the responsibility of monitoring course scheduling.
- Academic Departments and Programs may not deviate from these scheduling parameters without approval of the designated administrator of their School/College and by the Vice Chancellor of Enrollment Management.
- University Registrar’s Office will conduct periodic reviews to ensure compliance with classroom scheduling requirements.
Prime Time/ Non-Prime time Definitions
- Prime time: classes that have start times of 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday.
- Non-prime time: early morning classes with a start time of earlier than 9:00 a.m. and afternoon classes with start times after 2:00 p.m.