What courses will transfer to UNCG?

Nearly every course completed at a 4-year institution accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC), Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Higher Learning Commission (HLC), Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE), Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), or WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) will transfer to UNCG. Exceptions include developmental courses (e.g., Intermediate Algebra) or courses less than 1 semester hour.

Courses completed at a community college must be a part of the institution’s college transfer program. Most of these courses apply toward the Associate in Arts or the Associate in Science degree but not the Associate in Applied Science (the AA or AS but not the AAS).

Students may review our course equivalency search for specifics.

Will the course I’m taking at [name of institution] transfer to UNCG?

The Transfer Equivalency System has a complete listing of all North Carolina community college courses that transfer to UNCG. This is a complete list and is current for the 2019–20 academic year. Courses that are offered at the North Carolina community college that do not appear on that list will not transfer.

There are also partial listings for other selected institutions in the searchable database on the same site.

If you have specific questions regarding transfer equivalencies, contact transfercredit@uncg.edu.

What do you mean by “an official transcript”?

An official transcript is one that arrives in a sealed envelope from the transfer institution on official transcript paper. If the envelope seal has been broken, this invalidates the transcript. Official transcripts may be mailed or delivered by the student.

Official transcripts are also those delivered electronically through a university’s transcript system, they may be electronic delivery or emailed to UNCG Admissions.

We do not accept faxed copies of transcripts, transcripts that arrive in opened envelopes, or transcripts downloaded by students.

How long does it take to process a transcript from another college once UNCG receives it?

For continuing UNCG students, the Transfer Articulation section of the University Registrar’s Office makes every effort to complete processing within 1 week of receiving an official transcript from another institution.

Prospective students’ official transcripts that are received by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to satisfy Admissions requirements and then are sent to Transfer Articulation for processing which typically takes about two weeks for processing to be completed.

The previous school I attended was not a North Carolina community college. I don’t see the course I took listed in the equivalency site. Does this mean I don’t receive credit?

Not necessarily. While some courses may not transfer because they are considered technical or vocational, other transfer courses may not have been reviewed for equivalencies yet. Your courses will be evaluated when you apply.

My transfer equivalency sheet shows a transfer class with a “000” on it. Does that mean I’m not getting credit?

No. The “000” designation means that the course transferred as an elective because there is not an exact UNCG equivalent for the course or the course requires departmental approval. Elective courses may fulfill one or more general education requirements.

Will classes that I take at other colleges count in my GPA at UNCG?

Only courses completed at UNCG count toward the UNCG GPA. For more information, contact the University Registrar’s Office at 336/334-5946 or transfercredit@uncg.edu.

How many credit hours can I transfer to UNCG?

Students may transfer a maximum of 64 semester hours from a community college. There is no limit to the number of semester hours a student may transfer from an accredited 4-year institution.

See the UNCG Undergraduate Catalog for details about credit regulations, credit limits, and degree requirements.

I have received an Associate in Arts/Associate in Science degree. It was my understanding that my lower-level general education requirements would be now be waived, but I do not appear to be receiving that waiver. Why did I not receive a waiver of my GEC requirements?

Please contact the Transfer Articulation Department at transfercredit@uncg.edu to make sure we have received your final transcript including the degree.

Can I get credit for writing intensive and speaking intensive courses I took at another institution?

Because UNCG’s writing and speaking intensive requirements are specific to the University, you will receive credit only if the transfer courses meet the criteria for writing intensive or speaking intensive at UNCG. A WI/SI request should be filed with the corresponding academic department of the course at UNCG.

A course for which I received transfer credit at UNCG is designated writing or speaking intensive here. Why did I not get this credit when I transferred the course from another school?

While the course you took at a transfer school may be equivalent to a UNCG course, we cannot automatically add writing or speaking intensive credit. A WI/SI request should be filed with the corresponding academic department of the course at UNCG.

I took courses at a school outside of the United States and had my transcript sent to UNCG. Why haven’t I received a transfer equivalency worksheet?

Academic policy requires that all international courses (even those taught in English) be evaluated by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.

Transfer credit for international work will not be posted until such evaluations have been submitted; specific UNCG course credit will not be posted until course descriptions and/or Syllabi (in English) have been submitted to the University Registrar’s Office.

Can I receive credit for occupational or life experience?

Elective credit for military training may be awarded where UNC Greensboro has comparable courses and upon receipt of an official American Council of Education transcript. UNCG does not award credit for other occupational or life experience.

I took courses at another school, but I don’t think they will transfer to UNCG. Do I still need to send a transcript?

Yes, a transcript should be sent to admissions@uncg.edu from each institution you have attended.

I am a new student. How do I know if UNCG has received my transcripts?

Log in to SpartanLink. Check your application status. A checklist should appear of the application materials that have been received, including your transcripts. Any transcript evaluations that have been completed will be viewable there as well.

I am currently enrolled at UNCG, but took courses at another institution this semester. How do I know if UNCG has received my transcripts?

Follow the school’s procedure and have an official transcript sent to UNCG. After your transcript is received, transfer credit will be posted to your UNCGenie account.

Transfer equivalency worksheets are not prepared for continuing students.Transfer Articulation Processors post this credit manually after transcripts are received; therefore, if you login to Degreeworks then you will see the credit appear there after the transcript has been processed.

I requested my transcripts from my former school several weeks ago and my credit still isn’t showing up. What can I do?

First, verify that your former school sent the transcript. If you have verified that the transcript has arrived at UNCG, please be aware that we handle many transcripts each week and may be processing yours.

To check on transcript status, e-mail transfercredit@uncg.edu.

I was able to see my credit when I last logged in, but it has since disappeared from my record. Where is it?

When we are processing updates to your record, such as final grades, we must temporarily take your credit offline. The credit is still in the system. Please wait a few hours and check DegreeWorks again each time) before contacting us.

I repeated a course at another school for additional credit hours. Will I get transfer credit for both attempts?

In cases where repeated credit can be earned (e.g., some music, dance, physical education, or independent study courses), subsequent attempts will be counted in the transfer hour total.

If a course is repeated in an attempt to bring up a low grade at the other institution, the first attempt (if a C or higher) will be counted in the transfer hour total and the second attempt will be omitted.However, since transfer courses do not factor into your UNCG GPA, transfer courses cannot apply towards a grade replacement attempt.

You will not be able to earn additional credit for courses where you have already earned credit at UNCG.

Make note of the UNCG equivalent courses; if you have enrolled in any of those courses here at UNCG and earned at least a “D-“, you will not be able to earn additional credit for that course.

Some of my courses were granted transfer credit at another school but not UNCG. Why not?

Transfer credit policies vary from school to school. UNCG does not rely on another school’s determination of credit to make transfer evaluations.

I was placed into a certain course (ex. foreign language, math) based on proficiency tests or AP/CLEP exams at another school. Why didn’t I receive placement at UNCG?

We are unable to grant credit based on placement exams taken at other schools; we must receive the AP or CLEP scores directly from the College Board.

In cases where credit has been granted on the basis of a placement test, you will need to complete a similar placement test at UNCG.

Can I choose to have transfer credit removed?

In most cases transfer credit is not optional. The exception is AP, IB and Cambridge credit in which case a student may decline to accept the offered credit. Once credit has been declined, it cannot be reapplied to the student record.

You can email transfercredit@uncg.edu to request this change. Please indicate in your email that you understand this decision is not reversible.